September 27, 2009

Hi Folks

Thanks to Don Talley who not only orchestrated the musical benefit we did last spring right before my surgery. He also set up this website to continue my attempts to pay my medical bills.
My recovery from the AVM brain surgery has been long, slow, tedious and difficult. One of the main problems is that it doesn't allow me to work. I tried last month to get back out there and play some gigs and get back to work and back into my life. It proved to be too soon and set me back. I'm trying again this month with just one opener show where I live, which will be much shorter and 15 minutes from home. We'll see how it works out this time.
I have reconnected with a bunch of friends from way back in high school via Facebook who have provided me with a ton of emotional support through all of this and I thank every one of you with all my heart. I was then contacted by the Andover High School 20th Reunion committee and they asked permission to link to this site and to try and help with donations towards my medical bills. I didn't contact them about it, they got ahold of me and asked to help. To this as well, I say thank you so much. My email and address are listed on this page if you would like to contact me for any reason or any question I will be happy to answer. I will update this as things progress. Thanks again so much to everyone who has been in touch and offered help, whether it be emotional, psychological, financial...all of it. Thank you.
Chris Kew

No comments:

Post a Comment


THE CAUSE

THE CAUSE
Chris Kew hails from Newfoundland by way of Boston and toured his way around North America countless times before settling down in Asheville NC.

In past years Chris has performed with a number of bands Hypnotic Clambake, Jiggle the Handle, Steel String Theory, and The Recipe. More recently Chris Kew teamed up with Mars Farris to form Junco Partners. Music is his passion.

But for the past year Chris' ability to pursue his passion and support his family has been severely limited.

Several months ago, Chris Kew was been diagnosed with an arterial veinous malformation in his left temporal lobe. It affected his speech center and language comprehension. The complications from the condition made it very difficult for Chris to pursue his profession as a musician.

His doctors recommended surgery and after several delays, the surgery was completed late in the spring of 209. It's was very delicate surgery with many potential complications and risks but Chris pulled through. He now faces a long and slow recovery.

Chris longs to return to playing music full-time but he's got quite a journey ahead of him. Anyone one who has been through brain surgery is aware that recovery is a slow and painstaking process and things which were once simple tasks, now require significant energy and focus.

Chris continues to take several prescriptions which take a toll on both his physical and emotional status. The prescriptions also take a toll on his wallet and the financial burdens are difficult since Chris is unable to return to work as of yet.